Friday, October 9, 2009

Marketing 1 (Blog Entry # 3) 25 points

Watch the following 3 minute Advertising Age video called "Seeking New Ad Concepts for Movie Theatre Lobbies". 


Write your response to this topic.  Your response should be at least 8 sentences.  First, give your opinion of the ideas presented in the video.  Are they good ideas?  Why or why not?  Which one did you like best?  Why?  What demographic or segment of the population do you think it would appeal to most?  Second, off the top of your head, what do you think is a creative advertising idea that could be used in movie theatre lobbies?

Please sign your name to your blog entry.

15 comments:

Shannon said...

I think that advertising through popcorn and other common lobby items is a good idea because it gets the message out to people before during and after the movie. I like the idea of the movie disc on the bottom of the popcorn container because it appeals to the specific audience. They are obviously interested in movies considering they are at one, so the idea is specific to the consumer. The r8 it idea is also clever because of the rising importance of cell phones. The people at the movies are obviously intersted in technology so by using another form of technology that is interesting to them is cool and also helps promotes movies by advertising more. Another idea that might help movie theatre lobbies could be something that is interactive outside of the movie. They could offer more games outside of the ones they have currently but they could be more related to movies so it could advertise and entertain.

-Shannon Riley

Anonymous said...

I think the ideas in the video are great ideas. I almost always buy popcorn and a drink when I go to the movies so putting an ad on it would surely get my attention. The ads wouldn't cost a lot either. I liked the Hulk DVD idea the most because as a fan of the movies, I would definitely buy one. They would easily get other fans to buy the popcorn and watch the movie. The r8 it system was very cool because not only do you get to voice your opinion on the movie you just watched, you can see the other peoples opinions. An idea I have for creative advertising in the movie theater is to have some sort of ad on the movie ticket stubs. Since everyone gets a movie ticket stub, everyone would see the ads.

-David Chung

Dai said...

The ideas in the video were good. It was catch peoples attention and make them want to buy it for bonuses. A lot of people who buy DVDs and watches movies in the movie theater would want that DVD underneath the popcorn box. This would appeal to the family group and teen movie watchers. Something creative advertisement would be on the way the customers go to watch their movie, a person dresses up as a character of a movie and greets them as they walk by.

Anonymous said...

I think that advertising through different and more ways is a very good idea because people will know about the new upcoming movies without having to watch the previews. Having the advertisment on the popcorn box is a very good idea because when people buy popcorn they just gont get popcorn, they also get a free dvd with it. This DVD has special features and talks about the movie your about to watch. Another movie has decided to do advertisment through peel off stickers. You peel them off and you get a code and a website. After the movie is over you go home, go to that website, type in the code, and see if you have recieved a prize or not. This kind of advertisment will drag customers to the movie theater more. Your not just watching a movie. Your also rating other movies, get DVDs at the cost of your popcorn, and possibly having the chance to win a prize.

--Shabnam Gardezi

Anonymous said...

I think that advertising in the movie theaters will be a very good idea. Primarily, because almost everybody goes to the theaters, which would mean that the advertisement would get a great amount of exposure. One idea that I thought would be very effective was giving a DVD with the purchase of a "special" popcorn bucket. Big movie fans would take interest in it, especially since there are always new movies coming out all the time. This concept would appeal to anybody who enjoys watching movies. Another creative advertising idea that could be used in the lobby would be to hand out a club card where you could access a website, enter your serial number, rate a movie, and win free prizes like popcorn, tickets, coupons, and other things.
-Jair Pasaye Lopez

Anonymous said...

I think that these products are very good. They are good because when someone leaves a movie theater, they are only leaving the theater but not the movie. The people still get to interact with the movie but at there homes. I think this product would be appealing to males and females. Also maybe this would be appealing to the teenagers of this lifetime. I think a creative advertising idea would be giving promotions for the product. Also the advertisers could give free sample to the audiences. One more idea is to show a commercial for the product before the movie.

Tariq Masoud

Anonymous said...

I think advertising websites and offering prizes on popcorn buckets is a great idea. It's a good idea because its eye catching and interesting.People of all ages wouldn't mind winning a prize.Teenagers love to express there opinions so im pretty sure the rate it website would attract young people.There pretty good ideas but, I think if the movie theaters offered tickets to a free movie for every large soda or popcorn bought.Some thing like that jaja.


Edgar Ochoa

Ayesha said...

I think they are good ideas, because when people go to watch the movies they get bored. So, when they have the popcorn box, they can peal the sticker and later see if they have won something. This will make people go to the theaters more and a chance to earn money.A creative advertising idea is when people are amazed by the add and wants to see more of the adds.

Nichole said...

The idea for this new type of advertising is okay. I mean everything you have flaws like what if they don't want to bother with rating the movie or getting the DVD. I mean they have all the right ideas but its just that there is always people who won't bother with it. I think that it would mostly appeal to the younger generation who would get the most out of it. I mean no offense but some of the older generations maybe won't be as interesed as the others. I think a creative idea would be like little gift bags or thing that are free. I mean everyone likes free stuff, so you could promote your movie by "give aways.

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons that it's good to advertise in a lobby of a movie theatre, is becuase people are interested in looking at all the ads . When you put advertisements in a popcorn bag, more that 50% is going to buy popcorn, the message is going to come across . Its going to not be in a specific audiance, just people that com in the movies, and that could be anybody . The r8 it ad from sprint is a good idea also, becuase it gives perspective on what the audiance thought of the ads/movies and such . Overall, i think they would be successful because you can't ignore ads like that !

-Grace Velasquez

Anonymous said...

In a way it is a good idea because that way people wont have to spend money on a movie ticket. In another way its not so good because people teens and kids go to the movies to hang out sometimes and watch movies with there friends. A creative advertising idea that could be used in a movie theatre lobby is to hang up banners and posters and put up game systems that have games from the movies that are playing in the theater.

Sandra Coreas

Yessica said...

The movie theathers are finding ways to advertise upcoming movies & shows . They are using the popcorn or soda bucket method to put pictures and information about that particular movie.I prefer the whole Hulk idea that they were talking about because it's like a animated picture that has glimpses of the movie and if you put a sticker saying that if you enter the code your win a prize that would make the costumers want to buy that product just so they can have a chance of winning and if they don't they atleast tried and it was fun .

Alex Aram said...

I think that the advertising ideas presented are very good and interesting. The idea where a person can rate a movie using a cell phone is benefitable. You don't have to have a computer or laptop to rate a movie, instead you can use a phone with internet access. The other idea where if u purchase a popcorn bucket with a dvd underneath it is also brilliant. That idea can make alot of people buck the special popcorn buckets because they get a good deal on it. I like the popcorn bucket idea because you get a dvd with purchase of the bucket. The segment of the population that would use these items the most would be teenagers because we are the ones that are usually attracted to movies. Alex Aram

Anonymous said...

I think that advertising through popcorn is a good idea but that should also advertise through other products because not everyone eats popcorn (like me). I like the fact that they are coming up with new more advanced ideas to get the consumers attention. This idea will defenantely appeal to teenagers because they are usually the ones going to the movies most of the times. Then if the movie is really that interesting then the teen will tell their parents and possibly buy the movie. So overall, this is a god way to get future buisness from consumers.
---RaShara Toney---

Julia Su said...

I like the idea that the movies are advertised through products the movie theatres sell. Most of them, however, incoporate popcorn, which not everyone will buy. This greatly limits the potential customers the advertisers can reach, and has become an almost overused idea. I liked the 'r8 it' idea best, which appeals to the younger generations who are more tech savvy. It involves the moviewatcher into the film further, and they can access it on their own time. Plus, other viewers can get feedback on the movie before or after they've watched it. If I were advertising a movie in the theatre lobbies, I'd print codes on the back of ticket stumps that customers can enter online for a chance to win a movie prop. More codes could be found on tubs of popcorn, soda cups, and nacho containers sold at the theatre. During the previews, viewers would see an advertisement encouraging them to buy concessions to increase their chances of winning a movie prop.